- Software and System Engineering
- Large Scale Complex and Distributed Software Systems
- Concurrent Systems
- Evolution of Product Lines
- Reliability, Safety and Performance
- Software Engineering Management and Software Process Improvement
- Applied Statistics, Soft Computing, Search Based, Evolutionary and Multiobjective
Optimisation in Global Industrial Context
- Software Metrics and Models
- Experimentation in Software Engineering, Industrial Focus
Short Curriculum Vitae
Tihana Galinac Grbac is the professor of computing at the University of Pula.
Previously, she was working for eight years at Ericsson
Nikola Tesla (ETK) in Zagreb, and was actively involved in
Core Network development. With their scholarship, she received the MSc and
PhD degree from the Faculty of Electrical Engineering and Computing, University
of Zagreb, Croatia, in 2005 and 2009, respectively. The eight years of
experience in R&D projects developing large scale complex software system
that is evolutionary developed by globally distributed teams have
strongly influenced and motivated her research and have served as a platform for
experimentation, where she has continuously implemented her research results and
is gaining motivation for further research. Her research interests are in the field
of Software and Systems Engineering with emphasis on System Concepts and Process Improvements that lead
to Reliable and Safe Software Systems Operation.
In 2007 she was offered a position by the rector of the University of Rijeka, Croatia, to support the establishment
of the new study program of Computing
and contribute to the new research profile in the field of Computing and Computer Science.
She participated in the development and realization of the new Study Program of
Computer Science, served as the head of this program, head of the Department of Computer Engineering and the industry
practice coordinator, established a number of courses for undergraduate,
graduate and postgraduate students including specialist education programs. Finally,
she participated in establishment of new Computer Science module within the existing
University doctoral study in Technical Sciences. She established the
Software Engineering and Information Processing Laboratory (SEIP Lab).
She has been actively involved also in numerous strategical projects developing the Primorsko-Goranska County
and the City of Rijeka in the ICT field. Therefore, she participated and supported application of numerous projects applying ICT technologies like
eCounty, eGovernment, iUrban, CEKOM for Smart City SMART RI.
In 2018 she was again offered a full professor position by the rector, this time of the University of Pula,
to establish the new study program of Computing and the research computing profile in the field of Technical sciences.
She accepted the new challenge and the new study program of Computing is starting in academic year 2019/2020.
In her scientific research, she is actively performing experimentation within industry context, applying research results
and getting motivations for her further research. She initiated Ericsson Nikola Tesla and University of Rijeka cooperation
and established collaboration project 'Laboratory and educational support in ICT technologies'.
She is actively involved as the leader, management committee member and
researcher in a number of research projects funded by European Union, Croatian Science Foundation, Croatian
government or industry partners. She established new conference in the field of Software and System Engineering
within MIPRO platform with 40 years of tradition in ICT field.
The results of her work are continuously
published in prestigious international scientific journals and conferences with more than 80 publications in total.
She got awarded by the IEEE Croatia Section for her achievements
in knowledge application and knowledge transfer from industry to engineering education in the field of Computing.
She was elected as one of the top 50 most influential women in ICT in Croatia.
She received a special award for her contribution in achieving MIPRO mission.
She is a member of the IEEE
and ACM. She is married to Neven
and have two sons, Mak and Vid, and daughter Lana.
- Evolving Software Systems:
Analysis and Innovative Approaches for Smart Management (EVOSOFT), Croatian Science Foundation research project 7945, project leader,
- An empirical comparison of machine learning based approaches for
code smell detection", Bilateral Croatian-Slovenian project, project leader for Croatian side, 2018-2019
- Analysis and innovative approaches to developing,
managing and applying complex software systems”, University of Rijeka grant 13.09.2.2.16, project leader, 2015-2018
- Autonomous Control for a Reliable
Internet of Services (ACROSS), European Cooperation in Science and Technology (COST),
Management Committee member, 2013-2017
- Behavioral Types
for Reliable Large-Scale Software Systems, COST Action, project no. IC1201,
Management Committee member, 2012-2016
New architecture and Protocols in Converged Telecommunication
Networks, Ministry of Science, Education, and Sports, researcher, 2007-2012
Optimization and design of time-frequency distributions, Ministry of
Science, Education, and Sports, researcher, 2007-2012
- Researchers’ Night 2013, FP7-PEOPLE-2013-NIGHT – Night-of-the-Lab-Out, funded by the European Commision, Cordis: FP7-People.
Projects in Computing Education
- International Cooperation in Computer Science, Central European Exchange Program for
University Studies (CEEPUS) network, 2016-.
- Central European Functional Programming (CEFP),
Croatian PI, Erasmus+ project, 2018 – 2019.
- ERASMUS preparatory
visit to Malardalen University, Department of Software Engineering, Vasteras, Sweden, Visiting Professor, Agency for mobility and EU programmes, project leader, 2011
educational support in ICT technologies, Ericsson Nikola Tesla, project
Software Engineering: Computer Science Education and Research
Cooperation, Deutscher Akademischer Austausch Dienst, extended member, 2012
Projects in Government and Industry
- eŽupanija, Primorsko-Goranska County
- EGOV4U, City of Rijeka
- iUrban, City of Rijeka
- CEKOM Smart RI, City of Rijeka
- Program structures and fault behaviour in complex systems, University of Maribor, Maribor, Slovenia, February 2018.
- Programming of Management and Orchestration of Virtualized Network Resources, The three “CO” (Composability, Comprehensibility, Correctness) Winter School, Košice, Slovakia, January 2018.
- Modeliranje ponašanja sustava uz primjenu informacijsko-komunikacijskih tehnologija, MEDRI piknik, Rijeka, Croatia, December 2016.
- Modeling complex software systems behaviour, Novi Sad, Srbija, November 2016.
- Modeling fault behaviour in evolving complex open software environments, Bilbao, Spain, October 2016.
- Service management concepts and challenges in cloud environments, ACROSS Summer School, Opatija, May 2016
- Empirical analysis of complex software systems behaviour, University of Lund, Dept. of Computer Science, Lund, Sweden, November, 2015.
- Predicting and simulating complex software systems behaviour, Workshop on Autonomous Control for Reliable Internet of Services, October 2015, University of Rijeka, Lovran, Croatia.
- Modeling Complex Software System Behaviour, Institut Jožef Stefan, Ljubljana, Slovenia, September 2015.
- Reliability pitfalls of real-time switching telecommunication software platforms, Imperial College London, London, UK, February 2015.
- Reliable Software Networks, 1st EIT ICTLabs Future Networking Solutions Outreach Workshop, Dec 5, 2014, Budapest, Hungary
- Predicting and simulating complex software systems behaviour, 3rd Workshop on Autonomous Control for Reliable Internet of Services 2014, Larnaca, Cyprus
- Potential new case studies for behavioural types: Switching software systems, MC Meeting on Behavioural Types for Reliable Large-Scale Software Systems (BETTY), Aug 31, 2014, Rome, Italy
- Theory on the distributions and predictive capability of verification faults, 2nd Workshop on Software Quality Analysis, Monitoring, Improvement and Applications 2013, Novi Sad, Serbia
- Uslužno orijentirano računarstvo, Dani novih tehnologija DanTe 2013, Rijeka, Croatia
- Računarstvo u službi života i zdravlja, Noč istraživača 2013, Rijeka, Croatia
- Continuous Improvement Framework for Global Software Development, Software and Systems Quality Conference SQS 2008, Duesseldorf, Germany
- V. Cardellini, T. Galinac Grbac, M. Nardelli, N. Tanković, H.-L. Truong:
QoS-based elasticity for service chains in distributed edge cloud environments.
Book chapter in: Autonomous Control for a Reliable Internet of Services, LNCS vol. 10768, Springer, Cham, 2018, pp. 182-211.
- G. Mauša, T. Galinac Grbac: Co-evolutionary multi-population genetic programming
for classification in software defect prediction: An empirical case study. Appl. Soft Comput.
55: 331-351 (2017), (Q1, IF=3.907)
- N. Tanković, T. Galinac Grbac, M. Žagar: ElaClo: A framework for optimizing software
application topology in the cloud environment. Expert Syst. Appl. 90: 62-86 (2017), (Q1 Exc, IF=3.768)
- T. Galinac Grbac, P. Runeson, D. Huljenić: A quantitative analysis of the unit verification
perspective on fault distributions in complex software systems: An operational replication.
Software Qual. J. 24(4): 967-995 (2016), (Q2, IF=1.596)
- T. Galinac Grbac, D. Huljenić: On the probability distribution of faults in complex software systems.
Inform. Software Tech. 58: 250-258 (2015), (Q1, IF=2.627)
Galinac Grbac, Tihana, Runeson, Per, Huljenić, Darko,
A Second Replicated Quantitative Analysis of Fault Distributions in Complex
IEEE Transactions on
Software Engineering, 10.1109/TSE.2012.46.
Galinac Grbac, Tihana, Car, Željka, Huljeniæ, Darko,
Quantifying Value of Adding Inspection Effort Early in the Development
Process: a Case Study,
IET Software, 3 (2012), 6,
- Galinac, Tihana,Empirical evaluation of selected best practices in implementation of software
process improvement, Information and Software Technology, 51 (2009) ,
9, pp. 1351-1364.
Full list of published articles is available in the Croatian
Scientific Bibliography (CROSBI).